View Single Post
Old 12-20-2017, 01:40 PM   #15
1930-Pickup

Default Re: Tire pressure for tires on a model A Ford

Quote:
Originally Posted by eagle View Post
Mine say max PSI 45 lbs, that's right where I keep them.
I also can run at 20 MPH with the right shoes. That doesn't mean I do 20 all the time.

The proper pressure, for ALL tires, is determined by several key engineering factors. One factor that engineers can't design in is the exact operating load that you will be placing on the tire. They can only specify a safety range, or 'max pressure' if you will. Why would anyone want to drive on tires that are at the very edge of the safety zone?

The proper tire pressure will create a footprint ideal for traction, mileage, comfort, braking, and so on. It's up to the owner to take the operation of his/her vehicle into consideration in setting the right tire pressure. Does a near empty roadster place the same load on the tires as a full sedan?...of course not.

It's a lot like oil viscosity for new cars. Rather than specifying different oils for different climate zones, today's car manufactures specify one type of oil for everyone. Makes life simple, but its a compromise. Compromise is what its all about...that's why Ford specified 35 PSI for the general public in Model A tires.