Thread: Insert bearings
View Single Post
Old 07-04-2020, 06:47 PM   #56
Synchro909

Default Re: Insert bearings

The reason I asked about this is the concern in my mind about the bearing surface of the insert cracking or flaking near the groove. I don't think it would be a problem on the top insert but what of doing it on the bottom too? Comments sought, please.
I see no point reinstalling the current setup - it will only happen again. The inserts didn't spin in the block. I understand about the tabs. The bearing material was almost gone in places so I got in there just in time to prevent the inserts welding themselves tot he crankshaft journal. The pournal looks worse than it is. I can just feel slight ridges on it so I think I'll go again with it.
I do my best thinking while I'm asleep and I have awoken this morning with an even stronger leaning towards putting a groove in the top insert and reinstalling.
I PMed George Miller (who made comments above) but he hasn't replied yet. I'm not even sure he still posts here.