View Single Post
Old 01-06-2019, 01:14 PM   #437
woofa.express

Default Re: tell a Model A related story

The Kangaroo.

Widespread throughout Australia. It’s a well known animal and recognised as an Australian icon throughout the world. They have big feet and powerful hind legs. An enormous jump and can make 25 feet in one single hop and reach speeds greater than 30mph. They are the biggest marsupials in the world and can grow to a height of a little more than 6 feet and weigh about 200 pounds. One that size is called a booma. The females a doe, the males a buck and bubs a joey.
The most common are the red kangaroo and the eastern grey kangaroo. In all there are 55 different species. The wallaby is their smaller cousins. Simular characteristics just smaller.
They are herbivores. Their numbers have expanded rapidly because of the expansion of grazing with more watering points and improved pasture. Everyone likes kangaroos but too many can become a nuisance to graziers by competing for pasture with livestock and to farmers because they trample crops. They can jump fences or pass under the bottom wire. Sometimes they just mess up fences. In dryer conditions the roadside is greener because in addition to any rain the runoff from the road promotes green pick and they come there to graze. Many motorcars are damaged by striking them and bodies can be seen in big numbers along some roadsides. They are most active at dusk and dawn. When I see them on the road I turn off the headlights because they are drawn onto the road which is illuminated. We would have a couple of hundred around Tocumwal here. They are an attraction for visitors especially kids.
They are harvested for pet food. Greenies go off and say they are becoming extinct. It bullshit.One lady said she flew from Broken Hill to Sydney and never saw one. She was asked if she saw any sheep and no she said, she didn’t. Well it was pointed out to her we, at that time, had 120 million of them. (We now have only 99 million.)

The pictures show 2 bucks having an altercation, the emblem of local airline, Does with Joey's in pouch and feeding on lawn.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg kanga 3.JPG (21.4 KB, 5 views)
File Type: jpg kanga 4.JPG (61.3 KB, 6 views)
File Type: jpg kanga 1.JPG (14.9 KB, 5 views)
File Type: jpg kanga around house.jpg (20.2 KB, 8 views)

And there are times when I have a long memory.
woofa.express is offline   Reply With Quote