View Single Post
Old 03-18-2011, 01:36 PM   #8
Logan

Default Re: How fast should I drive?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Maclab58 View Post
I just put a new touring engine from Antique Engine Rebuilding in my 28. I Have about 300 miles on it now and it runs great but Im a little concerned as to what the top speed that is safe to drive it. I have hit 60 a couple of times on a short burst but the engine seems to have more room to go. Is there a point where I shouldnt push it past? Im new to A's so any suggestions? BTW, stock trans and rearend, the engine has a balanced crank, insert bearing and Chevy pistons and a lightened flywheel.
Your running it to fast, to soon. No faster than 40-45 for the first 1000-1500 miles. After that you can gradually increase your speed. After 1500 you can run it 60 if you want. People will tell you thats way to fast and all that stuff. But if you have the brakes to stop you, you will be fine. We have the antique engine rebuildings stock rebuild with stock rear end and trans in a fordoor sedan and I once ran it 70mph for 86 miles. It will do it, but give it time to break in properly, let the rings seat and bearings break in then you can run it hard.