View Single Post
Old 03-31-2021, 12:06 PM   #17
bobH

Default Re: How to compute HP

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bored&Stroked View Post
I'd go for the 16/28 combination . . . as you really don't need the 15/29 combination - especially if you're not in a heavily loaded pickup.

Transmission gear selection in this case is really not related to your HP numbers - it is more about the combination of rear end gears, tires, weight and RPM ranges. If you're running a 39 trans - you really don't have a lot of choices - even if you go down to 25T or 26T Zephyr gears - which usually hurt acceleration in a normal street car.
I had a 47 conv for many years... a 'tank', as described by one of the forum members. And, IMO, a tank... heavy, and way underpowered, with the stock 59 flathead. It came with 15/29, and 3.54's. What a lousy performer. A slug off the line, and almost dangerous on freeway on-ramps. Bottom line, I'd suggest serious consideration for the total combination, as B&S has alluded to. In my case, and after living with the car for about ten years, I eventually made some changes to make the car more 'drivable', more hp being one.
bobH is offline   Reply With Quote