Thread: 49 maroon paint
View Single Post
Old 07-22-2020, 01:44 PM   #1
mrtexas

Default 49 maroon paint

I had a quart of catalyzed enamel touch up paint for my 49. I scratched the front fender and tryed to touch it up, didn't work. Then I remembered when I bought the car the seller said the front had been repainted. The touch up worked fine on scratches around the tailgate. Ended up using the quart to re-spray the wheels.

So this part under the front bumper had rust under it so I decided to repaint. Didn't even have paint on the underside. This turns out OK since I will get a quart of sherwin williams single stage matched with a camera and see how close it is. If close I'll just repaint the one fender, otherwise 2 fenders and the hood. BTW Sherwin Williams single stage is $188 and PPG $500 for a quart.

A body shop I'd used before told me the camera matched paint is right on the money. His shop however won't do old cars. MAACO will spray it if I decide not to do it myself, two fenders and the hood for $600 with single stage which I thought was a good price.

Stripped the paint and then sanded, put on Ospho, repeat sanding, etc. Had to use the new non-methyl chloride remover which is OK but takes a lot longer.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg 491.jpg (41.5 KB, 47 views)
File Type: jpg 492.jpg (27.6 KB, 51 views)