View Single Post
Old 12-16-2013, 10:38 AM   #26
MrWzrd
BANNED

Default Re: Oil Filter Poser

Sponsored Links (Register now to hide all advertisements)
Did some exploring on/in the engine over the weekend and found lubrication diagram for the engine. I am constantly amazed at the simplicity in this car.

The engine has absolutely no pressure fed lubrication points. Everything is either gravity or splash lubed, including the mains. (that one surprised me) The pump simply fills the valve cover cavity with oil and it drains through various holes and pipes to the parts of the engine.

So the oil filter is actually just grabbing the oil pump output and putting it into the valve cover cavity after filtering it.

During the exploration (took the oil pan and lifter cover off) I also found my rear main oil leak. The return tube had a big ol' dent in it right about where the label "Oil return pipe" is on the diagram. (also found that the inside was quite clean.... and the peasants rejoiced!) Took the dent out and the engine isn't pumping oil overboard anymore.

Now I have to find out how the timing gear cover mounted filter get the oil from and to the engine.......

Last edited by MrWzrd; 01-06-2014 at 08:12 PM.
MrWzrd is offline   Reply With Quote