View Single Post
Old 08-26-2019, 08:21 AM   #1
Bored&Stroked

Default 59AB Block - NOS . . . but I found out why! . . . Help Needed.

A new friend of mine is building his first early Ford - acquired a bunch of really nice stuff from the estate of his late Uncle. Anyway, I helped him sort through stuff and found a 59x block - in NOS condition. Had never been in service! Wow, I've never had one.

Had it cleaned, baked and magged. Was just starting to show him how street porting is done - saw a dang hole in the side of the intake port. Casting issue! This is why it was NOS - because Ford scrapped it! We pressure tested it and I put two lock-n-stitch plugs in the port. Still seeps air in a couple places (too many!) and I don't trust the block at this point (funny casting stuff up in the exhaust port in the same area). One just can't know how bad or extensive the casting flaws are - how far they extend too, etc.. Now that I've seen 4 areas that are blowing bubbles (way down in the port) - not too confident on a build with this block. He wants to do a cross-country trip - can't imagine being in the middle of BFE with water pouring into the cylinder! Yikes!

Anyway - the "too good to be true" NOS block . . . is just that . . . it will remain NOS!

Good Block Needed!Anybody have a good 39 - 48 - 3 3/16 bore block? I really need one to help this friend out with his very first flathead. I told him he can't risk the thousands of dollars and countless hours of time on his "NOS" one . . .

I'm in Columbus Ohio . . . could use some HELP!

IMG_7652.jpg

IMG_7655.jpg

IMG_7678.jpg
Bored&Stroked is offline   Reply With Quote