View Single Post
Old 10-05-2011, 10:17 PM   #2
David J

Default Re: Rear Axle replacement in/out of car?

Never done it but if you unhook { carefully } the drivers side spring shackle , take the hub-drum & backing plate off the drivers side , disconnect the drivers side shock , take the drivers side radius rod off , take the passenger side hub-drum off , take the drivers side axle housing off & you can pull the axle-diff assy out . The only problem I see is the gasket thickness thing but you will have to deal with that no matter where the rear end is . There has got to be someone out there that's done this ? Check the end of your housing for gouging or whatever . If you have marks on the end of the axle housing take a real good look at the wheel bearing-hub . Dunno on the tourque thing - I just use a fairly long box end and give it a good pull . You didn't say what side or where it broke so you will be able to skip a step above . If you do it this way let us know how it goes .
Quote:
Originally Posted by FlatheadFanFromMI View Post
My questions are; can this be done while the rear end is still in the car? any reason to disconnect the torque tube? any other typical damage I should check for? best vendor for gaskets, seals, bearings, etc ? Any thoughts on the castle nut torque sppec? I've read that it needs to be 200 lbs/ft, and I know I didn't use that much when we did the restoration 10 years ago. Would these not being torqued enough cause the axle to fatigue? Thanks in advance!

Last edited by David J; 10-05-2011 at 10:21 PM. Reason: bad spelin
David J is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links (Register now to hide all advertisements)