View Single Post
Old 09-11-2019, 06:58 PM   #4
Mac VP

Default Re: need my transmission rebuilt

This is a good time to talk about the transmission rebuild business. I’ve had this discussion in bits and pieces with other car owners over the years, but it bears a complete talk. I wrote my repair manual back in 2006. It was and still is the best and most comprehensive book for rebuilding the early Ford 3 speed transmissions. I had personally rebuilt over 75 of them when I sat down and put the words and pictures on paper. I’ve trained another builder, Will Kimble, who has worked alongside me at our shop for close to ten years. Together, we have rebuilt something close to 500 of these same transmissions. I’m astounded when I think of this.

What does all this mean? Will and I chuckle when we remember all the odd problems we’ve run across when attempting to rebuild the early Ford trannies.....mismatched parts, missing parts, homemade repairs, and so much more. And the biggest thing in what I say to you is that we’ve seen these things over and over again. It’s easy to spot a broken gear tooth. Worn synchro rings are pretty obvious to us. The mystery problems are what we’ve become good at identifying and repairing.

We’ve learned the feel of the transmission, the feel of its assembly, and the look of the parts. We’ve developed ways to set the clearances and end play to the minimum specifications. We’ve had special tools made to make the job go more efficiently and reduce risk of damage to us and the parts. We stock large quantities of the rebuild components to do the job. If we are assembling a transmission and the parts don’t have the “feel” we like, we can pull another gear or shaft or washer or whatever it may be, and fit that instead.

We do what it takes to rebuild the complete unit. Sometimes that can mean cutting, drilling, or grinding a part to get to another component in the transmission. All seals and gaskets are replaced, not just the ones that are easy to get to. Every shifter housing comes completely apart for servicing. Special reamers and hones are used. Bearings are installed with a hydraulic press.

Last but not least, although both of us are well experienced and capable rebuilders, we have the wonderful benefit of that second set of hands and eyes just five feet away for help and a confirmation of the work. It’s not uncommon for the other man to see or feel something that doesn’t live up to our standards, and we’ll go back through the work to identify the issue.

To wrap this up, I’d like to say this. We are very happy to sell you my repair manual and to supply parts for your transmission. Many customers know that they can get a few helpful tips and suggestions when they need help. These transmissions do not require a degree in rocket science to complete a rebuild. I know that many car owners WANT to attempt this work because they love the challenge and have the basic skills to pull it off.

When it makes sense to have us do the work, we’ve built up a solid history of building these unique transmissions and it’s all our shop does. You get our specialized skills that are harder to find than back in the good old days. We also warrant our work for a year. We offer a custom built wood shipping crate for sending your core to us and the return to you.

I believe our reputation stands out in front because we get many transmission referrals from you folks. I wanted you to understand a little more about why that is.

Mac VanPelt
www.vanpeltsales.com
www.classictransmission.com
Mac VP is offline   Reply With Quote