Thread: ebay = rip off
View Single Post
Old 10-04-2018, 10:10 AM   #5
gz

Default Re: ebay = rip off

I used to use Ebay to sell, but no more. Ebay is not a friend of the seller, just the buyer. Hence, I only buy on Ebay now.

I miss good swap meets. Back when I got started in this hobby, they were the only way to find or sell parts. Growing up in SoCal, we had good automotive swap meets virtually every Sunday all year long. Most were put on by local car clubs. Some were large, some were small. Some were known for hot rod parts, some were known for stock parts.This usually depended on the club that sponsored them. They were all a lot of fun. Most would start at 4 or 5 AM Sunday morning and be finished by 1 or 2 pm. The bigger ones started on Saturday and typically there was "swapping" done throughout the night.

The usual plan was to get there as early as possible, get a space , run around and buy stuff and then set up sell stuff. It worked out really well. I remember always having a cargo van full of original pre-1940 parts for sale. Mostly Ford but also big brass era, big classic era and speed equipment. The inventory just kept rotating and a good time was had by all. I am glad to have been able to experience that part of the hobby in its early days.
gz is offline   Reply With Quote