Thread: 39 Head torque
View Single Post
Old 04-08-2017, 04:28 PM   #18
SuperDave

Default Re: 39 Head torque

Bad news... Got the head back from the 'shene shop.. They cut it .012. I didn't like what I saw. The head was bowed with the center raised. Making the end chambers slightly smaller.Couldn't find my magnetic mount for my dial indicator. (probably loaned out!).I should have stopped but being an optimist... I put the head on without a head gasket. Cranked engine over by hand and nothing touched (that I could feel). Checked the thickness of the gasket I took off, "Best". Found the compressed gasket measured .058". I figured there should be enough clearance if the new "Best" gasket compresses the same. I would bet that the deck was cut at some time since it is a .040 over bore. It certainly had a major rebuild along the way.. Every thing was great up to the third torqueing after two runs and cooling. Third torqueing went OK but when I started it up.. knocking! Removed the head and found the front and back exhaust valve just barely touching the head. So Now it looks like we are looking for new heads. If it was my car I would opt for stock iron and dress it up with chrome nut covers but the owner likes the Bling of the finned heads. I keep telling myself that this is a fun hobby.. It sure as heck isn't a profitable one! Anyone have a set of uncut finned heads?