View Single Post
Old 02-08-2021, 11:23 PM   #12
GB SISSON

Default Re: Exhaust Manifold Bolts:

Gotta say the stainless route is a great way to go as well. Some of you know I have done a lot of work with old toyota landcruisers. They have a problematic flapper/heat riser in the exhaust manifold. Mine always leaked and hissed from the pivot and I hate manifold leaks. I pulled mine out and to do so had to remove two #2 phillips screws that held the flap. I simply unscrewed them like thgey were installked them the day before. Then I put a steel bolt straight through the manifold with gaskets at each end and no flapper. It lasted less than a year. When it failed it was about as thick as a human hair in the center, then broke in half. I went up to my attic hoard and found the stainless shaft I had pulled and it was like new. I installed a stainless bolt this time and it is still in there 35 years later. Stainless does really well in the hot zone.
Owner/Operator of 'Jailbar Ranch' on the side of Mt. Pickett. Current stable consists of 1946 1/2 ton pickup turned woodie wagon with FH V8, 1947 Tonner Pickup (red) mostly stock with exception of a cummins 6at turbo diesel, 1946 Tonner Pickup (green) with 226 cu in 6 cyl flathead, 1979 Toyota landcruiser wagon, completely encased in 1947 Ford Jailbar sheet metal. Ok, cornbinder rear fenders..... 'Rusty ol' floorboards, hot on their feet' (Alan Jackson)

Last edited by GB SISSON; 02-08-2021 at 11:32 PM.
GB SISSON is offline   Reply With Quote