View Single Post
Old 06-03-2020, 01:24 PM   #27
woofa.express

Default Re: Take a gander at this.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dirtrack49 View Post
That airplane is a Pietenpol Air Camper. Was one of the early home built experimental aircraft circa 1932. Bernard Pietenpol, the original creator of this design, first had a single place model circa 1929 that used a Model T engine.
These aircraft have been built from plans and still are today, ever since Pietenpol started selling the plans way back when.
Most of these aircraft run more modern 4 cylinder opposed light aircraft engines. But the purist, prefer the original Model A engine with a high compression head. The radiator is positioned out of neccesity and is the original setup. Makes for a very warm ride in the summer!
Below is a pic of my Grega GN1 which is a modification of the same aircraft. I will probably go with an engine from a 1940's light aircraft vs. the Model A engine.
On the other side of my hangar is a pic of my 1946 J3 Cub and my Van's RV4.
Not only addicted to cars, I like airplanes too!
My wife tells me it would be easier to collect motorcycles. Please don't get me started.
Tom L.
Hi Tom. It was nearly a year ago that you spoke about your part built Grega. How's it going. I have owned many aeroplanes, the Bonanza my favourite. The turbine Airtractor my favourite ag plane. I did like the radial AgCat as well.
I now have none and when my licence expires in few months I shan't renew it. I've done enough. However if I was to buy an aeroplane again it would be an RV, probably the 9. They are delightful. I mention this because I see you have one. My Cub was okay but probably the best pilot trainer there is. I see you have one too. Your wife says it would be easier to collect motorbikes. My wife says Model A's are expensive but more affordable than aeroplanes.
Do get back with a details and perhaps a photo of your Grega. cheers, gary

And there are times when I have a long memory.
woofa.express is offline   Reply With Quote