View Single Post
Old 05-13-2020, 08:03 PM   #11
GinRicky

Default Re: English language - a bit off topic

One of the more interesting accents to identify along these lines is that of someone from the British Virgin Islands, or thereabouts. I met an older woman at a bar here in NC a while back and had to ask, which must be done tactfully because you know someone like that is asked some probably more crude version of the question on an almost daily basis. The accent doesn't sound like anything else; British yet Bahamian, English though Caribbean, and with an almost pirate-like undertone to it that is unmistakable. Myself being originally from South Florida I asked her if she hailed from the Caribbean, to which she seemed at once surprised, impressed and not a little relieved that someone so far away from her home had nailed it on the first try. We ended up having a very nice conversation following that. Interesting gal with lots of character.

She was a white lady, but think of the black actress from the "Pirates of the Caribbean" movies, though not nearly as exaggerated or heavy as that. Closest comparison I can think of offhand. You hear her speak a couple times and go, "wait a minute, what is that?".

Last edited by GinRicky; 05-14-2020 at 12:57 AM.
GinRicky is offline   Reply With Quote