View Single Post
Old 05-09-2020, 08:21 PM   #4
Synchro909

Default Re: English language - a bit off topic

One of my best and longest standing friends married an American girl about 40 years ago and they live here, in Australia. When they visit the US, they are often asked where are they from (I've had it happen many times when I am there too). She says her favourite answer is to say she in American and watch the puzzled looks on American faces because her accent sounds to them, nothing like any version of American they have ever heard. To me, she is instantly recognisable as American by her accent. I guess we first hear what is different, not what is similar. We see things the same way. Another friend of Chinese extraction married and Australian girl 45 years ago and settled here. Their two children look quite Asian to me but when they go to China, the Chinese see Caucasian.
Crickey, it was only as I typed that I realised how diverse we have become without noticing and I'm quite relaxed about it. My wife and I had 2 bridesmaids and two groomsmen at our wedding 47 years ago. Those two men were our groomsmen - quite different in 1973.

Last edited by Synchro909; 05-13-2020 at 05:54 PM.
Synchro909 is offline   Reply With Quote