View Single Post
Old 05-09-2020, 12:59 PM   #2
Jim Brierley

Default Re: English language - a bit off topic

I'm a Southern Californian that spent a summer stationed with the British Army on an island off the West Coast of Scotland. Every evening after dinner I spent some time with a Brit, often discussing the English language. It was an enjoyable time, we both learned a few things. I had been there about a month when they a British Lance Corporal and myself to a base South of London to pick up a special fueling truck for the NATO project we were on. We flew to the mainland and while having a midnight meal in the U.S. Air force mess hall we were joined by a local lass. After a few minutes she asked me why I was in the U.S. Army. I thought it a weird question until she said I didn't talk like an American! In that short time I had picked up enough of the British accent that it fooled her! I didn't do it on purpose, but found it interesting. Although I was drafted into the Army, found it an interesting experience, and am glad it happened. This was in "peace time", 1961-62. that's your history lesson for today!

Last edited by Jim Brierley; 05-09-2020 at 01:01 PM. Reason: Needed language editing.
Jim Brierley is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links (Register now to hide all advertisements)