View Single Post
Old 07-18-2018, 09:36 PM   #34
steve s

Default Re: Navel gazing & the future of the car hobby

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jeff/Illinois View Post
Well said!

P.S. I listen to Dave Ramsey from time to time, he does have a good radio show..... I guess I feel that you have to have a balance, you have to have hobbies and not be afraid to spend a little money on your hobby! The Financial people argue differently.

I just went thru a deadly Lymphoma cancer, I'm OK now but it sure reminds you about just how life can change on you in a heartbeat. Ain't nobody guaranteed tomorrow. 4 of my best friends, all about my age, have died from cancer in the last couple years.

You are sitting in good shape my friend, good for you! Go out and buy another antique car!!

Later
Thanks, Jeff, but my "shape" is tenuous too: having DBS surgery for Parkinson's in two days.

This same angst is troubling another of my hobbies, Lionel trains, and I feel the same about it. Ever since my wonderful wife, years ago, suggested I quit my real job and become a fishing guide, I've been adamant about not making my hobby into a job. It's a personal thing, to be sure, but I just don't want to add an additional layer of financial stress to the things I do for fun, whether it's playing with cars or trains or guitars, or fishing, or tying flies, or ballroom dancing, or yard work, or just reading. Life is short.

I'm sure that playing the investment game must be fun for some folks. Maybe what the world needs is a separate forum where they can share their problems like the rest of us share our car problems here.

Last edited by steve s; 07-18-2018 at 09:50 PM.
steve s is offline   Reply With Quote