View Single Post
Old 07-17-2018, 10:30 PM   #15
SeaSlugs

Default Re: Navel gazing & the future of the car hobby

Quote:
Originally Posted by larry harding View Post
it ain't just cars! hit and miss engines ,cushman scooters. and motorcycles in general. everyone interested is 50+.there once was a time when every kid wanted a dirt bike. a guy i know owned a honda dealership and told me he once had to deliver 400 minitrails by christmas time. every one from harley on down has pretty much quit making entry level small bikes. some kids now only want some new electronic gadget, not a car or bike. i am friends with a couple of local bike dealers and hear them saying the mc business has peaked out.there is an interesting video on youtube about what is happening to harley, but i see the problems across the board with all brands. kids don't want to get their hands dirty, or skinned for that matter. i wonder if all the old care , gass engines, and vintage bikes may wind up in the junk because no one wants them.
Well because harley is riduculously overpriced on new and old and your paying for a brand. They are thier own greedy demise and i dont feel bad for em. I feel bad for the line workers though and the communities they support.

This all goes back to the root cause: younger generations do not have expendable income as they dont make anywhere near what most of you on here made at thier age and have 6 figure student debt to pay off and if they dont thier credit score is ruined so a 5 figure bike makes zero sense to own. Same reason they dont eat out, get married later, have less kids, dont buy a house(aka no garage to store toys tools or parts), dont buy diamonds, dont buy paper products, etc.

Ive thought alot about getting a atv or dirtbike. Closest off road park i can drive it is 2 hours away. Then pay a fee to ride it around. IL requires seperate insurance for it and title for it So yea uterly useless for me to own one.