View Single Post
Old 10-26-2019, 05:23 PM   #59
GOSFAST

Default Re: Cam Degreeing/Checking Important

Quote:
Originally Posted by Desoto291Hemi View Post
Gary I am glad to hear this now.
I have degreed every cam I have ever used,,,,but I have never owned a Flathead before.
I just assumed they were doweled already to the cam gear.

Didn’t Isky do this already?
I can’t believe no one has ever done a kit with a cam gear already drilled for a dowel to set the cam timing advance.
Man,,,I am glad I came here,,,already learned a few things,,,no longer than I have been here.

Tommy
Hi Tom, many of the procedures we do no one else in the country is doing to the best of my knowledge anyway??

Here's a few:

We pin the heads/gaskets to the blocks, same as a SBC (we do this with the block plate that we use to finish-hone every block we build). This keeps the heads from "moving around"?

We set up the cam up with a "pin and (sometimes) a pill", also the same as the SBC, makes moving (degreeing) the cam a simple task.

We install bronze-lined guides/stainless valves in EVERY build we do here along with some "Viton" valve stem seals on the intakes!!

We use "Teflon" coated cam brgs (when needed to tighten up cam brg clearances some).

We do the oiling modification to the blocks to run a "real" remote oil filter. This is done by others.

More recently (in the last couple months) we began modifying the dipstick mounting brkts on the pans to be 100% removable from the outside without "dropping" the pan! I can all but guarantee the original gasket is about disintegrated? This is something you'll never know unless you remove the OEM rivets!

An oversea's member here just ordered a kit to modify his!

There's probably more but that's about all I can think of tonight!

Thanks, Gary in N.Y.

P.S. On a side note here I see you're into the early "Hemi's", just did a 341"/345 HP (I believe) from a '57 Desoto? Have also been talking to my friend at "Topline" (the original Johnson adj tappet mfr) about doing a hyd-lifter Flattie, not sure it will ever happen, but I've been kicking it around! We could pull it off here, I know it, I'm just running low on time!! I have another member's build here now with so many issues with some of the aftermarket parts (alum timing cover/Mallory distributor), these were supplied by customer, I'm not certain tonight we can even use them? These are for his "blown" unit.
GOSFAST is offline   Reply With Quote