View Single Post
Old 01-23-2021, 11:15 AM   #10
JayJay

Default Re: Dirty Carburetors

Quote:
Originally Posted by shew01 View Post
I don’t know if there is a pencil filter in my tank or not, but I’ll probably need to replace my fuel shutoff and check on that filter when the weather gets warm. It’s starting to weep just a bit.

I presume my glass sediment bowl has a screen. It seems to be collecting a little bit of dirt. There isn’t much in the bowl yet. I’ve heard they are prone to leaking; so, I’ll probably wait a while before I break it open.

The previous owner installed a carburetor filter, and the filter does collect dirt. I’ve changed it once.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
To see if you have a pencil filter, climb up on the running board and shine a flashlight down the filler neck. You need to stretch a bit but the fitting on the bottom of the tank is pretty easy to see. You can look at the float on your gas gauge wire at the same time to see it it’s falling apart.

Before you remove your sediment bowl, get a new cork gasket so you can replace it. Sometimes the gasket comes off partially stuck to the glass and rips, not much good then. Worth a buck to just plan to put a new one on. Put a towel, bowl or something underneath it to catch the fuel as you loosen the bail. And turn off the gas valve at the tank first (DAHIK)!

JayJay

------------------------
1930 Murray Town Sedan
1931 Briggs S/W Town Sedan
JayJay is offline   Reply With Quote