View Single Post
Old 08-05-2021, 07:00 PM   #14
KULTULZ

Thumbs up Re: Country Sedan Tailgate Springs

Quote:
Originally Posted by JimNNN View Post

It would be very possible to replace one of the rivets on each side with a wingnut, after market. That could be what happened.

However, my owners manual says, "The lift gate has counterbalanced hinges and can be locked in the open position," and I can't see any other way it could be locked open. Looks like a different owner's manual than what you're showing, KULTULZ. Possibly a mid year change? I checked recently, and I think my wagon was made in June of '54. I'm posting pics from the manual and hopefully they'll be oriented correctly. I'll take pics of my hinges in the next day or two.
My excerpt was from the 1956 OWNERS MANUAL.

My understanding of the text is that the LIFTGATE is raised/lowered with the help of the springs. Spring tension is what holds it open fully. If the hinge is worn and/or the spring has lost it's spring, it is going to droop, much like an old man ... ...

What confuses I believe is the latch release on the tailgate slide description. My thought is either the service parts were discontinued and/or the owner didn't want to spend the money.

- WHY IS IT ... -

... that everything you buy in the grocery store is either wrapped in or contained in plastic but the government doesn't want you to carry it out in a plastic bag?

WONDERING IN W(BY GOD)V ...

DIAGNOSED CDO - (OCD In Correct Alphabetical Order)
KULTULZ is offline   Reply With Quote