Thread: co-op
View Single Post
Old 01-24-2021, 11:24 AM   #9
rotorwrench

Default Re: co-op

I found some further information from this link. I was wrong about the relationship with Farmland Industries. They are related.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Universal_Cooperatives

This national CO-OP system was the early beginnings of the co-operative that ended up as Farmland Industries in 1966. It was started as a Farm Bureau based company in Indiana, Wisconsin, and Minnesota then through mergers of different farmer owned co-operatives, finally evolved into the Farmland Industries CO-OP that I mentioned previously. It began as Union and Farm Bureau Oil company and several other agriculture related sales companies in 1933. Union Oil Company (formerly Cowden Oil Company) owner Howard Cowden was the major organizer of the CO-OP in 1929. This was a complex organization of industry and farm owners that ranged from Canada to Mexico. CO-OPs of this nature do not exist in modern era. Corporate function took over from co-operative function and it basically died off. Corporate farms had a lot to do with the situation. There are a lot less mom & pop farms these days.
rotorwrench is offline   Reply With Quote