View Single Post
Old 08-26-2010, 07:55 PM   #92
Maclab58

Default Re: What drove you towards the Model A hobby?

In 1961 I was 3yrs old and my dad was in the military and was stationed in Pakistan. During his tour there we lived in a small Texas town close to my grandparents. We lived next door to an elderly couple Mr and Mrs Boyd that owned a 1930 coupe that they had bought new. They had no children and when we moved in they adopted me as their own. I can still remember him taking me to the store in that old car and I have been an old car nut ever since! I started out buying projects that I could barely afford let alone finish. Now that I am older, the kids are grown and I own a shop I got the fever again and bought a 53 Bel-Air hardtop and started on it. Then fate opened the door. I was cruising Craigslist late one note 6 months ago and there it was ............. a 1928 Sport Coupe that had been restored 35 yrs ago by Col Harry Smith (Smitty) here in town. Oddly enough I knew Smitty and knew of his A's but also knew he had passed away 12 yrs ago and assumed the cars had all been sold. I answered the add and went to see the car and to my amazement not only was my Sport Coupe in the backyard under the shed but there sat his 31 pickup and his beloved Huckster. My Avatar photo was taken the day we pushed it out and took it home. I am happy to say its running and a blast to drive around! A friend now has the Huckster and I am dying to get my hands on that Pickup! I have made some great friends since getting the car and cant imagine not having one in the future.
Maclab58 is offline   Reply With Quote