View Single Post
Old 08-26-2010, 06:09 PM   #89
Mark Schwing

Default Re: What drove you towards the Model A hobby?

Back in the mid-Fifties, my cousin who was a year or two older than me and his dad had a Model A Tudor. They attended all the Model A events in western Pennsylvania and would invite me along. Fine point judging in those days was a lot different than today. I also went with my cousin to explore attics of Ford dealers looking for NOS parts. We also went through some of the farming areas looking for parts. Farmers in those days often had a lot of parts stored away in their barn just in case. I remember one farm where we found three Model A roadsters. The old farmer wanted $450 for each one which seemed like a lot of money for a couple of teenagers back then.

I found a 1931 Deluxe coupe for sale close to home and bought it for $150. The former owner callled me on the first night to tell me that he never puit any anti-freeze in the radiator. Even though we had a closed garage it wasn't heated. The next morning I had a cracked head. I drove that car to high school nearly every day and to my summer life guard job and loved it.
Mark Schwing is offline   Reply With Quote