View Single Post
Old 08-21-2010, 07:17 PM   #80
Terry, NJ

Default Re: Another Original 2-Blade Fan Takes Its Toll

As a former welder, I agree with Mike K. You have a bomb! I would get that thing off the engine tonight and have it magnafluxed tomorrow. Mike explained it better than I can, but there is such a thing as the HAZ. The Heat Affected Zone and it's always right next to the weld. This is where most welds fail. It weakenes the parent metal (In this case, the fanblade)
This is where failure would occur. On second thought, throw that fan away! One day a tiny crack will begin in the HAZ. Later, you'll rev the engine and centrifugal force will take over and Bang. it will be all over but the crying!
Terry

Quote:
Originally Posted by Michael P. View Post
To the fellows that asked about the 4 blade repro fans. When I restored my '31 Slant Windshield 4 Door Sedan (160-A) 23 years ago I was concerned about the reports of the 2 bladed originals comming apart so at the time opted to buy a 4 bladed repro. Being a bit paranoid I took the new 4 bladed fan and spot welded over the rivits and also ran a small smooth bead at every seam where the blades overlapped. I then ground the longer welds smooth, ground the welds at the rivits a smooth domed shape and painted where one cannot even see the welds. I am an amatuer home welder and do not have technical engineering training but the fan has worked well for the past 23 years as I assume a "single" unit due to the welding. Maybe someone with better technical know how will chime in to let us know whether the welding on my part is really ok to do or pure overkill!
Terry, NJ is offline   Reply With Quote