View Single Post
Old 10-09-2012, 12:00 PM   #23
[email protected]

Default Re: Paint A Car With Rustoleum?

I am one of those home Model A hobbiests that if I can't do it in my driveway or garage it doesn't get done. Years back I built up a Johnny Cash version 1928, 29, 30 Woody Huckster from some of my left over parts left over from my other Model A projects. I determined to build it just for to be a "Work" truck so I could use / abuse it. It was going to be done for low dollars......

I used the local Farm and Fleet Tractor Enamel with hardner for the fenders, radiator, splash aprons, and running board. From the beginning I planned it to be a twenty footer paint job. I figured that if I ever had a scratch or bump I could then just go to any local store and buy the exact same Rustoleum replacement color.

I painted the primed body metal with a Ford Tractor Blue enamel with hardner added originally. After it was painted my Wife and Daughter did not like the color. (Note to self, In the future, always consult the live in decorating experts before starting a paint project.) They then picked out the Rustoleum Navy Blue that is close to the Model A Washington Blue color.

I then repainted it all over with their Navy Blue. I am attaching a before and after picture during this process to show the two different blue colors... Firewall Ford Tractor Blue and Cowl area Rustoleum Navy Blue.

I used an old Bink's siphon spray gun with a small air compressor for the painting. The Rustoleum flowed out real good with some cheap paint thinner but you have to have the patience to let it dry before any attempt to wet sand and for buffing it out. When I did finally got around to polish it out a couple of months later, I used some 3M "FinesseIt" compound with a power buffer on the paint job, it really popped into a great hard shine that most people assume is the auto body stuff...

This Huckster was NOT built to be a show car by any standard but at a parade or a cruise night show it gets more attention with positive comments then my other traditional Coupe and Tudor Model A's. People just like Trucks!!!

Now it is a few years down the road and it still looks good with no rust or bubbles anywhere. But just recently I was going to buy some extra Rustoleum Navy Blue in a small can for keeping on hand for some stone chip touch ups but all of the local and chain stores seem to stock only a Rustoleum Royal Blue color instead of my Navy color. Some stores have the spray cans only in Navy Blue. The Navy Blue is still available from Rustoleum but I have to now have the stores special order it in the small cans... I taped off the stone chip area and shot it with the Rustoleum Navy Blue rattle can and the chip just dissappeared.

I know that this Rustoleum paint job is not for everybody in the Model A world but for the small amount of money I invested for this Huckster I am very pleased how it looks and would do it again..

Woody with 1929 Ford TriMotor.jpg

IMG_0821_edited.jpg

IMG_0959.jpg

IMG_0885.jpg
modela@aol.com is offline   Reply With Quote