View Single Post
Old 05-05-2012, 02:27 PM   #131
Ron in Quincy

Default Re: Another Original 2-Blade Fan Takes Its Toll

This thread was started as a result of my losing a original fan blade, taking out the radiator and damaging the hood. I have used original fans since 1962 and had never had a problem. As stated by Joe Way, the fan had been magnifluxed and no cracks were detected. However, the inside of the fan cannot be seen to determine if moisture has started the rusting process on the inside.

Attached are two photos of the fan in question. We all know that the fan blades are hollow but also the area around the hub is hollow. The pulley is electrical welded to the hub, the fan blades are electrical welded in only two places to the hub at the bottom next to the pulley,moisture can enter the inside from the un-welded area; these welds did not fatigue, the metal around the welds let go, it appears the crack started at the point where the castle nut seats and progressed down from that point.

There is also another type of original two blade fan that has the pulley soldered to the hub rather than electrical welded. This was determined when I had two original fans that I took for powder coating. The one in question was powdercoated, the other one could not be powdercoated as the oven heat that cures the powdercoating would have melted the solder and come out in two pieces.

I personal recommend that Aers consider not running the original 2 blade fan as only the Lord knows when they will give up ???? I have a original two blade fan on my A1276, but only had to complete the manditory tour, slow driving, at the National Meet in San Diego. If I start doing more driving with this A I will change the fan.

Last edited by Ron in Quincy; 10-28-2015 at 08:17 PM.
Ron in Quincy is offline   Reply With Quote