View Single Post
Old 01-05-2012, 02:01 PM   #157
RcT

Default Re: What drove you towards the Model A hobby?

Back in the late '50s, our neighbor owned a gas station and had a '30 Model A he would start every morning and had a cup of coffee letting it warm up out on the street. I would lay in bed about 6:00 a.m. and listen to that car... the sound of it was music to me.
When i was 14, my Dad knew I wanted an A and came home one evening and told me he found one in a small city nearby. We went to take a look at it and it was stored in the back of this old guy's cabinet shop, covered with cardboard boxes of stuff. We removed all that and there was a '30 sport coupe, six wheels and rumble, white top on a maroon body; look like it had been brush painted maroon, fenders and all. He wanted $250 for it and Dad got him down to $210. I repaid Dad with my paper route money and we towed it home with Dad's '59 Ranchero.
I was 14. I had it running in about two months and took it out for a ride one afternnon. Dad was waiting in the driveway when I got home; I saw him and wanted to keep driving, but pulled in. He just told me to drive the car into the garage and he got an old rusty chain and strung it through all four wheels and locked it up.
The A stayed ther until I reached 15 1/2 years old, when I could get a learners permit. The chains were removed and I drove that car for another four years before selling it for a new '65 Mustang. Yeah, I wish I had kept it...
While in college, I bought a Model A pick-up, converted from an ols tudor. That was followed by a '29 tudor, then a ground up on a '29 special coupe. Then a good 25 years with no A until I bought this last special coupe in Feb, 2010.
Can;t seem to shake the habit...
RcT is offline   Reply With Quote