View Single Post
Old 01-04-2012, 10:09 AM   #151
Elcastor

Default Re: What drove you towards the Model A hobby?

When I was 13 years old (1960) I had saved $75 from the money I had earned from my summer job. I wanted a go-cart and had found one but my dad said that what I should do is spend the money on an old car instead. Owning a car at 13 had never crossed my mind!

After looking a a few old cars in our area I picked this one because it had the best tires. New to me when I was 13 in Bend, Oregon. Am I proud looking, or what?

I drove it to high school and for a while after that, then took it completely apart and started restoring it. For many years it sat untouched due to lack of money and time, but especially money.

In 2000 I retired and we moved to Baja California Sur, Mexico. I took it with me as I wanted a project to work on, and I wanted to restore this vehicle that had been such a big part of my life since 13 years old.

With the help of a wonderful body and fender man in a nearby town I was able to finish the restoration in 2007.

One of the big celebrations in Mexico is November 20th, Revolution Day, and our small town always has a big parade. I have taken my Model A to the parade each year since it was restored, and I almost always have Revolution Day princesses or the Queen riding in my vehicle since it is the nicest vehicle in the parade. This year was no exception as I had the queen and 2 princesses in my pickup!! Eat your heart out guys! (Yes, there is one with me in the front seat!)
This picture taken November 20, 2011

As you can see, I enjoy the hobby and the driving as it always brings smiles to everyone's face. Now I am working on a wood bodied station wagon. The chassis is 1928 Ford model A and the body was made by Martin-Parry. I hope to have the station wagon done enough to be drivable in a couple months.
Elcastor is offline   Reply With Quote