View Single Post
Old 01-04-2012, 01:36 AM   #148
Russ B

Default Re: What drove you towards the Model A hobby?

It just came to me. My dad's first new car was a '29 cabriolet; but he soon gave it to his mother, who drove it until she died. My cousin drove it a year or two and then went in the Navy, so in 1958, my uncle brought the car back to my dad for me to have as my first car. The first requirement dad had was to put hydraulic brakes on it before I drove it. I stopped driving it in 1964, but kept it and am rebuilding it now.

By '63 I wanted a hot rod, but was not about to turn the cabriolet into one, so I got another '29, free, as my second car. It had been abandoned and left along the side of the road, partially buried in silt for years from an earlier flood. I turned the heavily rusted tudor into a V8 powered hot rod. Later came a roadster, then a closed cab PU, and, recently, a standard coupe, all '29s. The Cabriolet was my first car and was never original or fully restored in the 50+ years I have had it; but soon it will be in its best condition, by far, still with its original motor.

A's have just been a part of my life, but the cabriolet is part of my family history.

Last edited by Russ B; 01-04-2012 at 01:40 AM. Reason: grammer
Russ B is offline   Reply With Quote