View Single Post
Old 06-05-2010, 07:04 AM   #80
Al

Default Re: What drove you towards the Model A hobby?

My parents did this to me. As a kid they were into Pierce-Arrows and we always went to the annual Pierce Arrow Society meeting as vacation. When I was about 14 (1974) I bought my first Model "A".......a chassis and running gear with three "extra" engines that was brought home in the back of a pick up...there went $210 of my hard earned cash.

Later we sold a 38 Packard to a guy who owned a '31 Tudor. I bought the tudor and worked on it during high school and sold it (shouldn't have done that). In hindsight.....it was my parents way of keeping me out of trouble....heck I'd be in garage and not running into other trouble.

Got married in'88 and in my wife heard stories and saw pictures of the cars. We were having lunch together in 2000 in a restaurant somewhere in Georgia and a model A roadster drives by...we run out of the restaurant just to see the roadster ......several months later we bought the phaeton!

My Dad, now in a long term care facility in Indiana at age 81 and suffering from dementia still asks about the Model A even though other topics of conversation are challenging. I'm planning on driving the A to Indiana in July so that we can have a visit and possibly a ride together.

It's a great hobby!!
Thanks, Mom and Dad!
Al is offline   Reply With Quote