View Single Post
Old 06-03-2010, 04:48 PM   #53
Jim Baskin III Pa.

Default Re: What drove you towards the Model A hobby?

Here goes.The year is 2002,youngest son Matthew joins Marine Corp.Me and the misses are empty nesters.My wife owns her own business and isn't home much,I'm totally bored.My brilliant mind come up with the idea to restore another willys jeep(did one in 1977)maybe a 2A-3A or 3B not sure.Start looking around but nothing in my want to pay price range.My father-in-law calls me one evening,here you are looking for a project,yep Carl I am.Well I got this old car sitting in the corner of the garage at home.Its a 1930 Model A.Ok I say what is a model A.He says come over tomorrow and you can see for yourself.Next morning with little enthusiasm I go the whole 3 miles to see this Model A thing.Little did I know Carl has been moving stuff,boxes and whatever for 2hrs before I got there just so I could get a good look at this old,old,old car.I pull in the driveway to the garage,Carl comes out from the side door around the front.I get out of my truck and as I start walking,Carl opens the far left overhead door.The morning sun is now directly shinning on this old,old,old car.No hood,no engine,no front fenders or rear.No radiator or radiator shell.but the body(30 tudor) is on the frame,oh yea four flat tires.The stuff that is not attached to the car is inside the body.So its all there.Now there is one thing that I never anticipated and that was that old,old,old car shot one of Cupids arrows right thru my heart and the rest is history.I now own 3 model A's and a Model T.THANK YOU CARL you changed my life forever and I an eternally great-full.The only sad thing about this story is Carl never got to see the finished car as he died in 2004,one year before I finished and got her on the road.
Jim Baskin III Pa. is offline   Reply With Quote