View Single Post
Old 06-03-2010, 11:49 AM   #42
Jason in TX

Default Re: What drove you towards the Model A hobby?

A hot rod show made me aware of Model As, but it was the helpfulness of my local Model A club that got me interested in keeping them stock.

I've always wanted an old car since I was 8 years old but never knew which model. My first car came at around age 22 and was a 1948 Plymouth. It was a great car. I drove it around to a few local cruise nights but no one seemed interested. During that time I also acquired a low mileage original 37 Plymouth. Dallas also has next to no one interested in 30s - 40s MoPars. I was a lost soul at the time.

I went to a large hot rod show in Las Vegas and fell in love with the Model A coupe hot rods. I had to have one. I started looking on eBay and found someone selling a very nice original coupe from Modesto, CA. We struck up a deal to trade even my 1948 Plymouth for the 1931 Coupe. I met him half way in Arizona, we both took the cars for a spin around the parking lot and the deal was made.

When I got home with my new toy, I could barely get it to run. I started doing my research and got in touch with some people in the Dallas Model A club to help me get it running. I think the saving grace was that a few people pushed me to jump right in and start driving the car with them on tours. So I did, rather than take the car apart and possibly head off in the wrong direction with it.

Lots of miles under the old coupe, I was hooked on the Model A hobby. Learning about the differences in body styles, parts used, year differences, everything. I couldn't read and learn enough about them.

Then along came the opportunity to buy my 1930 Cabriolet. I sold the 37 Plymouth and became a true and true Ford man. I've now began hopping up my original Ford coupe the way a teenager would have done in the late 40s and I'm still enjoying the Model A hobby with my Cabriolet. So in the long run, I came out with a great appreciation for all things Model A and also for the ways they have brought familys together both spatially and emotionally.
Jason in TX is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links (Register now to hide all advertisements)