View Single Post
Old 06-03-2010, 10:33 AM   #39
Ron/IA

Default Re: What drove you towards the Model A hobby?

My Mom drove a '29 Coupe in high school, and for three years after graduation till in 1946 when she married Dad; they traded the A Coupe for a '46 Ford. In 1951 it was traded for a Chevy and their personal cars from then on were GM; but they never forgot the A Coupe and the '46 Ford. Dad was a machinist's mate in WW II, and was an excellant mechanic; rebuilding all of the farm's tractors for better power and reliability.

My interest in Model A's began when one Saturday in 1968 (I was 19 at the time), he annouced he and I were going to a farm sale. I figured he had his eye on a tractor or some implement for the farm, but to my surprised he went there to look at a Model A; a 1929 Fordor. We hauled it home that day, and spent many days and hours restoring it. Besides being a good mechanic, Dad was an equally skilled wood-worker. The top had rotted out of the A, and consequently the interior was destroyed too. He fashioned all the replacement wood for the top and interior, and then working with a local lady who recovered furniture; we replaced the interior. It turned out (too me) just as good as today's brand-name interior kits you can buy. Mechanically the A was in decent condition; it just needed tightening up, new seals, some bearings, etc., due to the many miles it traveled over the years. We were fortunate to find a '31 engine that was in good condition and only needed some rebuilding to make it fresh. After finishing it and driving it to the county courthouse, Dad transfered the title to me. Ever since, I have manitained and driven it. That was 41-years ago, and although Dad passed away in 2002; I know he is still with me in that A and knows I learned a lot from him. Although I have looked at others, it is the only A I have ever owned. Now my daughter gets her fingers greasy right along with me; keeping the A running. Next is her learning to drive it, and again Dad will be along to help.

Hawk A Model A Ford Club
http://hawkamodelaclub.org/
Ron/IA is offline   Reply With Quote