View Single Post
Old 07-11-2015, 11:29 AM   #128
BILL WILLIAMSON

Default Re: Got an old brain? I need to pick it!!!!

Quote:
Originally Posted by 31 Model A View Post
Bill, I only remember one farmer that still farmed with horses, Biesemeyer was his name and he had a hard time getting help to put up his alfalfa. I do remember when he did get a tractor and a baler and we all thought things would change but nope!!! He would cut in the morning, turn it in the afternoon, bale it the next morning and put it up that afternoon....GREEN and he wanted it stacked on edge and salted down....and again, he had a hard time finding kids to help him put it up. He had no car and still came to town in horse and buggy. I remember two As that were made into hotrods back then but most of the cars were late 30s early 40s....for the po' folks, 50s for the others but that was maybe one or two....the BIG farmers. Darr's Garage always kept old tires when they changed them out for the farmers when they came around looking for an upgrade for their wagons.
Chiefs' station was in the '43 to '45 era, in a small S.E. Oklahoma town, small farmers with tractors, was RARE, MANY mules & wagons were used to go do Saturday shopping. The County strived to provide a "scraped" lane alongside the road, to accommodate them & to have RUBBER tires was "special"!
I've even seen MULES & a WAGON, towing a conked out car into town for repairs. Chief had quick access to Ford Parts, the dealership was just across the street, built of HUGE River Rocks, I'll ask Uncle Henry if it's still there. It was owned by Bill Ogan, Chiefs' Buddy from Grammar School. I gotta' STOP, I culd go on FOREVER, this is GREAT FUN!
Bill W.