View Single Post
Old 04-28-2020, 06:24 PM   #57
53MERC

Default Re: The Radiator Blues - Let's Pray

So the latest...........
My original radiator is at a local radiator shop. Not sure if it can be fixed yet or not?

Thanks to those that recommend that I call Shoebox. They DO carry one for my 53 Merc. It runs $699 and is an exact fit. They are booked out 6 weeks for one right now. They currently have another customer having the exact one built right now.

Thanks to member "KiWinUS" . He found one on Ebay advertised as "1949-1953 FORD CAR FLATHEAD 4 ROW HD RE-CORED COPPER RADIATOR" for $400.00.
The owner said it would fit the Merc too, but after talking with Shoebox I was told it would not.
So at this point, if my original can't be fixed I will order a new one through Shoebox and be done with it.

Some of you recommended that I have my motor mounts checked because the way my radiator had been contacted at some point by the fan blades. Thank you. I talked to my mechanic today and he will check them out once he begins work on the radiator. I may just buy new ones and have them replaced anyways. I see Kanter and Mac's carry them.
Is it recommended to replace all four at the same time or just the front two? I'm not sure how much labor is involved?
One of the parts dealers Tech dept recommended I have the fan bushings/bearings checked too.

I'm not sure why or when the fan made contact with the radiator at some point?
Again, I am no mechanic. Just a lover of classic cars, and here to learn.

I'm starting to realize now why there is a song called "Mercury Blues".
Thanks All.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg Rad 1 small.jpg (136.5 KB, 5 views)
53MERC is offline   Reply With Quote