View Single Post
Old 07-14-2016, 06:34 AM   #1
DanS

Default Aussie 47 mercury

G'day fellas, I'm new on ford barn. Ive been searching the net for info to help my mercury resto! I have a 1947 merc fordor. Here in australia the fordor's and a handful of local built utes were all that was on offer and there ain't much info on the imported cars. It is a Aussie delivered car, from what I've reserched, shipped over new from Canada. They must have been delivered here incomplete and finished here as all upholstery, window winder mecanism and interior handles are quite different to the US cars. The aussie cars had 1940 dove tails for the doors and the tool compartment in the trunk floor ran right through from 41 til the last 48. All right hand drive cars retained a RH version of the 41 dash in both merc and fords right up to 1948. Its been a learning curve when ordering bits for 47 and things arent the same! Especially dash bits!
We are almost ready for paint and getting chassis ready to refit. My dad brought the car in around 1969, it was then fitted with a Y block 272, 3speed man and cusso diff. Dad ran it around for 6-7 years then pulled it down to rebuild.......
It sat in the shed now for 40 years and I talked him into a rebuild. We decided to put it back to original and have dug out 4 flathead engines dads had in the shed for as long and wondering what is a correct engine? We have 2 engines with C69A raised on top of the bellhousing. One engine has just a 1 on the bellhousing and the last has 19A. I've removed the heads on both 69A engines, both are standard bore But one has a full set of sleeves and has a plaque attatched saying its a ford australia rebuild with 8BA crank rods and valve gear. No1 and no 5 very very rusty bores. The other is very rusty in the valley, standard crank/ rods and mushroon valves. all valve springs are caked in rusty mud! Just wondering what else to look for to decide on which to rebuild? The other two i havent remover heads yet. Dads pretty sure they are before 41.
Any advece on the project would be greatly appreciated. Anyway, been a fun journey so far
DanS is offline   Reply With Quote