View Single Post
Old 02-19-2016, 10:00 PM   #3
Synchro909

Default Re: A new look at a very old subject.. Oil.

Quote:
Originally Posted by daveymc29 View Post
Not shooting, just curious. Will 4.5 quarts of Mobile one fill your crankcase after you have cleaned and rebuilt, your version with which I take no offense? I thought that when one started with an empty engine the procedure was to pour some of the oil down the distributor hole to fill the dipper tray, then add the rest to bring the oil up to the mark on the dip stick? Mine used five quarts to accomplish that. Out of bullets anyway....
I've heard that said a few times but I don't think pouring oil down the distributor hole makes any difference to the oil in the dipper tray. Pouring oil down the filler tube fills the dipper tray just as well. Oil down the distributor hole will fill the "reservoir" in the valve chamber so the main bearings have oil right from the start, which oil down the filler tube won't do. While I would still recommend oil down the distributor hole, I don't think it is for the reason stated.
Now back to the OP. Our old engines with solid cam followers like an oil formulated for older engines. Oils meant for modern engines probably do not have enough ZDDP in them because it is terminal for catalytic converters. I suspect that a synthetic oil might be good for a modern engine but query its value in an engine like ours. I'd check with the manufacturers and if not sure, buy a bottle of ZDDP and add it yourself. I do!