View Single Post
Old 02-02-2015, 09:39 AM   #16
Terry, NJ

Default Re: More on J C Whitney

I can't recall the number (1100?) Archer Ave. Don't ask me how I recall that. I have never lived anywhere near Chicago!
Terry

Quote:
Originally Posted by Curt Campbell View Post
I was at JC Whitney (warshawskys...other name...same owner in the 60's in Chicago. My friends cousin worked there. It was located in lousy part of Chicago south under the "L" (elevated train). Very cheap looking place...was not impressed. I bought a set of Hooker headers for my cherry 65 GTO. However upon closer inspection at home and having a hell of a time installing them discovered they were not Hookers but a cheap ass imitation marked and boxed as Hooker headers. Had to park across from the store almost under the train track..shady place. Upon returning to the car and being happy it still had all its wheels on it big ol Cadillacs pulled into lot and opened their trunksc...full of all kinds of "hot" stolen the night before merchandise. Wanting to sell at rock bottom prices. I remember one of these thieves warning me not to buy at whitneys...bad stuff and would get cheated...imagine!

I think it was on state or Cicero street...can't remember back 50 years. Also, my dad was in the auto salvage business in Burl in g ton and had friends with salvage yards near whitneys. They told me they sol d tons of used engines etc to them of which they cleaned up and sold as new.

They were something else. Interesting eye opening experience for two rather naive Iowa boys. But have heard others they did ok by them...so who knows.
Terry, NJ is offline   Reply With Quote