View Single Post
Old 08-07-2017, 10:00 AM   #8
34PKUP

Default Re: Fuel pump push rods

Quote:
Originally Posted by FlatheadTed View Post
This is a old post I posted some years back on the old FB it might be helpful .
You can check the cam travel by placing a card behind the push rod mark it at its lowest point and at its highest as you crank it over this measurement can be used to check the gap under the oil filler tube and pump, it should be about 3/10". The rod can be ground off at the top if the rod is to long or if the gap is less than 3/10” you can build the rod up with weld . . Most of the ware is often n the linkage, and this can compensate for some ware. Service info specify min 10 thousands minimum ware on the rod this measurement can fluctuate depending on what gaskets you use some after market manifold or pump Gaskets are likely thicker than original stock ones also the pump mount bolt holes can be loose . The way to set the height and allow for this is with the pump on the top of its stroke with your hand on the oil filler apply light pressure down on the pump to compress the small spring on the linkage and remove the play, (not the Diaphragm spring) then check the gap from the pump gasket on the face of the manifold to the lower flange on the oil filler tube this, Should be the same as your card or 3/10 “.Ted
I only have .200 cam lobe travel, should I get a new cam?
34PKUP is offline   Reply With Quote