View Single Post
Old 01-27-2021, 02:37 PM   #6
V8COOPMAN

Default Re: Pitman arm question

Sponsored Links (Register now to hide all advertisements)
Quote:
Originally Posted by 34fordy View Post
Speaking of clocking, ---When the sector is in the middle and at the "sweet spot" should the pitman arm be true vertical?
Just a 'WAG' ....(Wild-Assed Guess).... on my part, but I'd guess YES...IF the spindle (and steering arm) are original. Here is some very interesting info (below) compliments of "glennpm" from a previous post of his. Hope this helps. DD
__________________________________________________ _____

FROM GLENN:

"Here is a picture of both of the 32 Pitman arms with the "B" or truck one on the top. There is a one tooth difference between the two.

The rotation of the B would push a fixed length drag link further to the front of the car and deceases the desired 90° between the steering arm and the drag link.

If you you have a B as mentioned above, you can either remove the indexing teeth at each 90° or file those indexes to make 8 new teeth. Either way would allow you to place the pitman wherever you need to maintain the 90°. All else being correct, one tooth CCW.

This morning I had a thought. How much angular movement does 1 tooth give you?
There are 36 teeth (the 90° apart "keys" count for 2 teeth each) so 360/36 gives you 10 degrees at the Pitman arm. For a stock 1932 with 13 to 1 worm/sector shaft ratio, 1 tooth would be 13 X 10° = 130° steering wheel rotation!"

'35-'36 W/8BA & MECHANICAL FAN

T5 W/TORQUE TUBE
V8COOPMAN is offline   Reply With Quote