View Single Post
Old 10-17-2020, 01:50 PM   #3
Kube

Default Re: 1936 Ford rearend gear ratio and speed

Quote:
Originally Posted by throwback View Post
I have a 1936 Ford 5 window coupe. I looked at the stamping on the banjo. It looks like 9-37 or 4:11 ratio. I feel like the max comfortable speed on the setup is 50-55 mph. What speed could I get from 3.78 gear ratio or other gear ratio if I am trying get more speed for hiway driving?

Thanks for replies!
I have had numerous 1936 through 1940 Fords. My overall favorite gear ratio is the 3:78. Plenty good "off the line" and cruising at 55 or so is never an issue.
I currently have a '36 roadster with the stock 4:11.
It was very "comfortable" around 50 - 55.
I'd installed a Columbia only because I had a beautiful one "on the shelf".
I still do not exceed 55, but the difference in the entire driving experience is amazing. The car has seemed to "smooth out" beautifully.

If a Columbia is not in your future, I'm a firm believer that a swap to the 3:78 would make you one happy camper

One thing you may want to keep in the forefront of your mind is that while a higher gear set will allow the engine to run easier at higher speeds, you're still driving an 84 year old car. Faster than 55? Ya still need to stop when that jerk in a BMW pulls right in front of you and hits the breaks. Ya also need to swerve out of his way.
Good luck doing either safely at 55. At 70? Well, nice knowing you...