View Single Post
Old 10-10-2020, 11:34 AM   #16
rotorwrench

Default Re: Overdrive Transmission in a 1952 F1

If the bell housing fits an 8BA then it would not be from a Lincoln. The Lincoln 337 and 317 Y-blocks are both larger than the 8BA engines. Ford of Canada had some different transmissions for trucks but Mercury and Lincoln stuff was likely produced in the US. Ford of Canada would purchase bare Mercury cars and fit the Monarch trim in Canada. The Meteor was produced in Canada so both Ford and Meteor cars were produced there. The pickups were all produced in Canada and there are some differences from US production but for the most part they followed the same procedures as the US counterparts with the trim being the major difference between Ford and Mercury units.

The T85 transmission is a heavy duty 3-speed side load of Borg Warner design and has a curved shape to the bottom of the shift cover housing. It was the basis for the T10 4-speed. The trans case should have T85 casting marks and the OD housing should have the R11 casting marks on it. These units were used right up into the mid 60s for cars and early 70s for pickups so it may not even be from a Lincoln. The early units had a 1 1/8" 10-spline input and the later units had a 23-spline input. I don't know if any of these were produced in Canada or if there were differences. None that I'm aware of were ever set up to fit a flathead 8BA but I'm sure they can be adapted. It would fit a shoe box ford bell housing but the shoe boxes has a fulcrum arm clutch release. A clutch plate should be available that would work with one of the pickup diameters. I'm not sure what the 49 to 51 Lincoln used or the 52 through 54 317 for that matter.
rotorwrench is offline   Reply With Quote