View Single Post
Old 06-15-2020, 01:54 PM   #1
Red Mark

Default Rear leaf spring questions

Hi,All;
Please bear with me while I explain how I got to this point and my concerns. In setting-out to rebuild the rear end (new axle,bearings,seals), I ran into some issues with the leaf spring. Car is a '30 coupe with older resto ('70's) when I acquired it. After safely removing the differential at the shackles it gets strange. The spring was still bolted to the body crossmember through the center hole. The nut for the center spring bolt was on top of the hat section literally bolting the spring assy to the body. With no choice but to carefully loosen the nut, and the inevitable release of tension (I was unharmed, but I did need to change my drawers), I could finally remove the pieces. Now I'm ready to reassemble but, these are my concerns.I don't believe this is the correct spring assy for the car since it has 10 leafs. This may explain why it was bolted thru due to higher spring profile at the top. What say you?
If this is the wrong spring, how can I tell and is it possible to remove leafs to get the correct profile to fit?
As usual, thanks in advance for all the inputs.
Red Mark is offline   Reply With Quote