View Single Post
Old 02-09-2019, 02:01 PM   #8
supereal

Default Re: Types of 6 volt sealed beam headlights

I have 6 volt halogens in my '47. When first installed, they were less bright than the originals. When I ran a jumper directly from the battery to the lamp. it became very bright. Checking the circuit from the battery to the dash switch, then on to the dimmer switch, I found much of the power was lost before getting to the headlights. All the "bullet" connectors were making contact. I constructed a small terminal board using two 6 volt starter solenoids, and installed it to the headlight wiring on the left side of the radiator. Using the original wiring to run the solenoids one for bright, the other for low beam, the problem was solved. A #10 wire to the solenoids was more than enough to furnish power. The only evidence of the system is a small "clunk" as the solenoids were keyed. I had already replaced the dimmer switch and checked the dash switch. Replacing the wiring would require all the associated wiring, so my bypass was a quicker and less costly remedy. The car is now safely after dark if needed. It can be removed by just reconnecting the bullets by the headlights.
supereal is offline   Reply With Quote