View Single Post
Old 11-21-2021, 04:57 PM   #16
WHN

Default Re: Engine Noise - Help-Opinions?

Quote:
Originally Posted by mgambuzza View Post
BTW - I do use MMO in my gas religiously.

Changed the oil and replaced with 20W50 4qt with STP. This time started, ran almost 20 min with only a hint once in a while of the noise. Will investigate removing the belt, and maybe compression testing as when I do hit the accelerator the engine increases, but not like it would in the past. Thinking this, along with already demonstrated loss of power will be a more major issue.

If anyone is from Upstate NY and can recommend a mechanic in the Syracuse area, it would be greatly appreciated. Definitely not the way I wanted to end the season, but if it is a major issue, at least it can be worked all winter to be ready in the spring.

I would put car away for the winter and not worry about it. In the spring, give the oil and MMO a chance to work. These engines take a licking and keep on ticking. They will go forever.

Point of interest. Our 1929 came out of a barn in Virgil, New York in 1980. It had been in storage since the end of WWII. Sounded like yours when we first started it. 40 plus years later, no rebuild and running strong.

Give it a chance. Clean your carburetor and check timing, points, and plugs. These could each be causing a portion of your problem. Alone with sticking or SLOW valves, MMO in gas will help that.

Route 11 down thru Homer is a great drive for Model A’s.

Enjoy.
WHN is offline   Reply With Quote