View Single Post
Old 05-16-2014, 11:00 AM   #1
Bill Batson

Default Need some head clearance advice

I seldom post messages but have been reading all the your terrific wisdom for quite a while - guess I'm a lurker. I need some advice. I am nearly finished with my AV8 but after reading all the posts on head clearance issues I decided to check mine. Engine has not been turned over since assembly.

I have a 1951 8BA engine bored .080 over with Egge pistons, standard rods, an Isky Max 1 cam and I had the heads shaved .050. I assembled the engine some time ago and only recently became concerned about piston and valve clearance. I removed both heads and gaskets - placed the heads on the bare block without the gaskets and slowly turned the engine over by hand. Valves hit the head in several if not all cylinders but not the pistons. Heads were probably milled in the past and the .050 I took off was too much.

Can the valve chambers be safely milled .050 to provide clearance or should I start with another set of heads. I also wonder if NGK spark plugs will hit the valves now? I do have a set of 8RT but they have lower compression as I remember from all the posts.

Thanks for any help
Bill
Bill Batson is offline   Reply With Quote