Thread: Kwik way lbm
View Single Post
Old 11-19-2020, 11:38 AM   #14
BRENT in 10-uh-C

Default Re: Kwik way lbm

Quote:
Originally Posted by edgar44 View Post
I now own a Ammco 400 LBM purchased from JB here on FB but now I'm looking to buy some new tool bits. It has a 1.25" diameter boring bar with 5/16" diameter bits?

Also, how does one use the facing adapter, shown above, to cut a pocket for the thrust washer? I understand the principle in how it functions but only for straight facing not cutting a pocket as needed for the modern thrust washer purchased from AER in Skokie...

I doubt you are going to find any new tooling for your machine. Therefore you will need to make it yourself. Various supply stores such as MSC or McMaster will offer a ⁵⁄₁₆/.3125 HSS blank that you will use to make you own cutters. I think they are about $10 a stick and they are about 5 inches long. You will need to machine a vertical groove/relief with a ¹⁄₃₂ ball end mill for the set screw ball to center to. Then grind and shape the tool for the profile of cutter you desire.

As for the cutter for the thrust, I have never used one of those types, and it appears to be too large to get in there anyway. You likely will need to grind your own cutter for that too. That way it can be adjusted to only cut in the pocketed area. I am not sure what you will use to tension the bar there either. I know the KW has two adjuster feed screws that clamp against the bar and then push against a main webbing to tension the cutter against the main web or cap.

BRENT in 10-uh-C
www.model-a-ford.com
...(...Finally Updated!! )

BRENT in 10-uh-C is offline   Reply With Quote