Thread: Adding Guages
View Single Post
Old 02-20-2020, 08:39 PM   #9
Ruth

Default Re: Adding Guages

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tom Endy View Post
My Victoria is wired as Henry ordered. It is six volt positive ground. The ignition switch is electrically below the coil. There is always voltage sitting on each coil primary terminal. When my tac is connected the two wires also see voltage. However, there is no current flowing thought the coil or the tac until the ignition switch is closed and the points are closed. The tac does not become active until it sees a pulse from the primary winding of the coil. That only happens when the points close. When current is flowing through the coil, one terminal is momentarily at ground.There is no other ground on the tac so there is no current flowing through the tac when the points are open or the ignition is switched off..

Tom Endy
Thanks Tom for the explanation. My Tach has an integral light in it and when wired as you have it the light stays on. But it seems my Tach also has a ground wire and yours does not. So I rewired so the switch is before the coil and the coil does not see voltage until the switch is turned on. That is why I asked.

Last edited by Ruth; 02-20-2020 at 09:16 PM.
Ruth is offline   Reply With Quote